Monday, July 6, 2015

I had the funniest dream...

So it appears that, in the writing world, I went to sleep a few years ago and then BOOM... woke up.

Or did I?

 Some say that a dream is often some repressed emotions or observations of the day that come to "life" during sleep to make the subconscious more aware. Others say that dreams are often fantasies or yearnings for something that you can't get in your life so your brain makes them happen in a calmer state of rest.

 I say that dreams are the brain's way of making you happy, or at least occupied, during the 4-8 (or more or less) hours that you basically do nothing. I mean, can you imagine staring at a wall for hours with zero to look at or listen to? Well you'd probably fall asleep thus killing my point here, but alas... 

So during my "sleep", I felt like I had less to write about and even less time to write it. I found myself consumed in work and "life" and writing some fun ditties felt like it wasn't a huge priority. The social media world also didn't make things easier. It seems that more and more people want to read something in 140 characters or less or in a status update that, if the first few words seem funny or interested but it's-- gasp-- more than a few lines (the horror!) people just click the Like button and move on.

 I write just for myself and if I can make someone think or laugh, hey, good for me (I guess) and if I don't feel like it, then BOOM... back to sleep. But after a few years of mind-numbing, albeit quite profitable, work consisting of talking tech and explaining and then re-explaining concepts over and over again, I felt this shaking of my body in my proverbial bed.

 So I have a bunch of things dancin' 'round my head, with plenty of unnecessarily abbreviated words like that, and now plan to put pen to paper-- er, fingers to keyboard. 

Wake up, Mike.
Wake UP.
 Mike?
 Oh hi.

You know, I had the funniest dream...

No comments: